April 12, 2016

FUNNY: some clauses we Nigerians use that can leave one laughing and crying at same time

Nigerians find a way of inducing humor into everything they say. It is intriguing to know that every sentence is laced with humor. One could feel the sarcasm in their speech; that’s why serious statements become not that serious, more attractive and bring a smile to one’s face. Of course, we understand ourselves and still get the major points in the statements. Here are some typical phrases that reveal the true colorful nature of our nation: 1. Come and be going Example: It haf do, come and be going. Like seriously? How can you say come and be going at the same time? Nigerians say this when they want a person to leave. 2. I ‘kuma’ went there Example: “They didn’t return the money, I kuma went there o.” Only God knows when this became an English word. Nigerians say it when they mean conclusively or eventually. It depicts the final turn out of things. 3. I have ‘sha’ said my own Example: “If you like answer, I have sha said my own.” When you hear this, the speaker means his or her opinion has been stated firmly. In addition to this, the speaker becomes unbothered about the change of event. 4. I’m coming Example: “Just wait here, I’m coming.” How could you say you are coming when you are actually leaving the place? Most people say this when they ought to say ‘I’ll be right back.’ This contradicting clause is hilarious. 5. I cannot come and kill myself I cannot come and kill myself Example: “I’ve called and called them, I cannot come and kill myself.” This reflects their attitude when being frustrated. It is a typical Nigerian’s way of accepting defeat. 6. Falling my hand What? Example: “You just keep falling my hand, it is so annoying” Nigerians say this when they are disappointed in someone. Pay no attention to the falling hand. It would not drop. 7. Copy copy Example: “You went to buy the cloth too, copy copy” This expression is used when the person referred to like doing things other people have done. This means the person lacks originality. 8. Follow follow Example: “Must you go with them? Follow follow” People in Nigeria say this when they mean someone is easily influenced. 9. Waka waka Example: “Waka waka, don’t you ever get tired?” This is Nigerian’s way of referring to someone who is restless. People who move from one place to the other are often called this. 10. Shaky shaky Example: Don’t get there and be doing shaky shaky o This is used when talking about someone who lacks courage. 11. Dey der You didn’t know, dey der Example: “I have taken my own now, dey der.” People often say this when showing their smartness in a situation. This expression suggests that the other person is not moving at the expected pace. 12. How far? Example: “How far?” Please make no mistake of thinking you are being asked for the distance of a place. This is our way of saying hello or what is happening. 13. He has arrived Example: “I cannot believe the guy has arrived” You could get lost in a conversation upon hearing this. The person who is being discussed might not have gone anywhere. We say this when we mean luck has finally smiled on a person. 14. Cast Example: “And I was here waiting for you, you just cast me” No one is talking about fishing or news casting. The speaker probably meant he wasted time thinking the situation was what he thought it would have been. It means he was not involved in the decision making. 15. See me see trouble See me see trouble o Example: “On top 50 naira change, see me see trouble o” This simply means unbelievable. But of course, trust Nigerians to be so dramatic about everything.source naij

No comments:

Post a Comment